Monday, October 11, 2010

Bedside Healing

I've often heard that laughter is like good medicine. I've also heard singing soothes the soul. My uncle Ron is going through the trial of his life. Interesting play on words as his profession is Law. Tomorrow he is going in for massive surgery to remove brain tumors in his head. He only found out a week ago they were in his brain and others throughout his body. We have shed a lot of tears over this diagnosis and of course are very concerned but we are confident that God can take him through this storm, meet him on the other side and turn this trial into joy of healing and restoration.

Tonight was a special family night at the hospital. My uncle Ron even in his current state, managed to make all of us laugh with his great stories. One thing that has always been so important to Ron and LeAnn is music. After all they met on the stage. I remember growing up, riding in the back of their car singing fun music and Ron teaching 3 part harmonies. All my 3 uncles, my dad and aunt were all musical, but Ron really placed that love for songs in my heart as a young girl. When I recorded my CD in 2006, Ron would constantly remind me that he listens to it every day on his way to work, until recently when his car stereo ate it. I was very touched that he would love it so much. That is why I thought how awesome it would be if all of would get together tonight and sing with Ron. What a sweet time of worship and praise we had as we all in beautiful harmony sang to the Creator and the One who can heal and One who brings comfort in times of uncertainty.

When the nurse came I got a flash back of how I once wanted to be a nurse offering bedside help to sick people. I thought because I was a night owl I would be a fun night nurse, only to find out I dry heave at my own child's vomit. It was at that time when I was also being drawn to music and writing the words that were flowing rapidly in my head. A revelation of knowing I wasn't going to comfort through touch and care, but comfort through music. Those worlds collided tonight as I sang with my uncle and family at his bedside, thankful that I trusted God with all my heart that He was telling me to pursue music not nursing. What a sweet time of worship we had, and I'm so thankful I was holding the guitar and not wearing the scrubs.

5 comments:

  1. I will be praying for your Uncle. Music has a way of doing so many things. This past Sunday my cousin lost her battle with cancer. Her family was able to suround her Saturday night with a night of praise and worship. Thank you God for giving us the gift of music so that we may worship you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I am so sorry about your cousin. Cancer is so horrible. Steals, robs, and destroys... sounds like the Devil.
    We are praying that he is one of the percentages that make it through. That's all we can do at this point. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing your night! What an amazing family you have. we are in constant prayer for Ron and especially today!! You have a gift....your voice is amazing and truly a blessing to all that her you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Sana! He has touched so many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading all journal entries and words of encouragement, it looks like God has assembled together a strong support team and prayer warriors for uncle Ron! And now I'm just one more person on the team! :)

    So I've been diligently praying for him before, during, and after surgery. And praising God for his good recovery! Just know that I will continue to pray for uncle Ron and the family during this trying time.

    No matter what, God is in control, and He makes no mistakes!
    So keep fighting the good fight my sister friend! And in prayer, I shall fight with you! :)

    "I'm with you. There's no need to fear for I'm your God. I'll give you strength. I'll help you." ~Is 41:10 (Message)

    ReplyDelete