Thursday, January 20, 2011

Vintage Therapy

I just love old vintage things. History was never my favorite subject in school, but if they would have taught about vintage dresses, beautiful victorian themed rooms, homes, music, books, and decorating, I would have certainly gotten an "A". Instead I struggled learning about wars, battles and pilgrim dishes while several times playing the multiple guess game on the test sheet.  With my own home style I have tried different things over the years that don't really fit into the vintage look, spent a little time in the americana primitive era, and then practical met kids stage (where you buy what is a good deal and holds up, which can make a person feel like decorating isn't very fun and a little displaced).  All I know from experience is that my heart is happiest when I'm decorating in the zone of vintage old but chic.

This is my favorite spot to
look at in my house
I love books that are set in the 1800's and early 1900's. One of my favorite authors is Lynn Austin! Her books are beautifully written, pull from historical facts that I understand, and weaves in the foundation of faith and love through her stories.  The simplicity and beauty is attracting however I'm sure back then they might not have felt they were living a simple life. Those must have been hard times as well, in the way of loss and death from diseases and wars.

I'm not sure what pulls me to the things of the past. I often stand somewhere close my eyes and try to imagine what might have been in that same place a 100 years ago. I love old time music, the big band era along with the sound of an old record player needle on vinyl with a sweet woman's solo voice. If I was a size 4, I would surly be buying clothes more often in vintage shops.

My favorite thing to do on a free day is to browse thorough thrift shops, vintage and antique shops. Even if I don't buy anything, it is cheap therapy for the day. I am drawn to beautiful dishes, cups and saucers, jewelry, old purses, LOVE old coats and just looking at the display of beautiful old things, did I tell you I love old coats!!? If I were to dream, I would have my own shop in a little old house, where I could sit among all these cute old things with a story behind every item, listen to old music and bask in the delight of it's treasures. I wanted to share a few of my favorite spots to go to, maybe you can add a comment of your favorite places too. I love the Funky Junk Sisters Website . I could sit all afternoon and catch up on good stuff there!
Below is a few other places I like to frequent for browsing "Therapy".




Stores:
3 monkeys :811 Northwest 23rd Avenue, Portland, OR 97210
(503) 222-5160
Ragtime:http://www.raysragtime.com/
Stars Antiques Sellwoodhttp://starsantique.com/
Village Merchants


3360 Southeast Division Street
Portland, OR 97202

Magpie
520 Southwest 9th Avenue


Portland, OR 97205-3280
(503) 220-0920

American At Heart


2 comments:

  1. Oh, I think we could be great friends. :) I love to look at antiques, but Andy doesn't want any in the house. I boxes of my great-grandma and grandma's hats. I used to wear them all the time when I was younger. I even had a vintage sweater that I wore a lot. It wasn't cool back then but I didn't care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how much you all love to hand churn butter like in "ye ol' good ol' daze!" :) I had the opportunity to do this at Knott's Berry Farm in Los Angeles! After five minutes, I thought my arms would fall off! NOT gonna do that again!!!! FACT: It takes about 1 hr. to produce one white blob of gobbledy-gook (stick of butter)! So that's my "ye ol' good ol' daze" story! :D

    ReplyDelete