Saturday, February 5, 2011

Flashback to 8th Grade-Blueberry Coffe Cake

So, I open my oven and take one whiff of the blueberry coffee cake and I have this major flashback from 8th grade Home Economics class! I know! crazy huh? Most of us remember the guys had to take "shop" which I gladly signed up for the second semester in order to be around the cute boys, so pathetic. The girls took Home Economics where we learned to sew and bake and the finer things of keeping one's home and heart happy, I must have slept through the keeping house organized lesson. I remember there were a few boys who opted for the class because of food and the girls, only realizing their foolish choice when it came to sewing a stuffed teddy bear project. I enjoyed the class, and my teacher, until the day I decided to play a joke on one of my friends in my kitchen group. The joke went too far when I got side tracked and forgot and walked out of the room to my next class. It wasn't until the next day my teacher with a stern look on her face said "T" has lost her purse and remembers this was the last place she had it yesterday, does anyone remember seeing it"? Gulp. I'm pretty sure my face was so flushed that the teacher didn't need to ask anymore probing questions, but waited for the final confession of the "straight "A" sewer and cooker" with the beet red face to slowly raise her hand. I said I was sooooooo sorry and announced that I played a joke and hid it behind the stove! Sure enough walking over to the lemony yellow stove, the purse was nestled in the same place where I put it the previous day. I think "T" pretty much hated me the rest of the year. Afterall, no one messes with an 8th grade girl's brown leather purse with lip gloss, stickers of Madonna and signed trading cards from the local professional hockey team, which I never really understood what all the hype was about, but for what it's worth Winter Hawks you rock! And "T" of you ever read this and remember that frightful day, I really am sincerely sorry and I think I ended up with a "B" in that class as a consequence.

Blueberry Coffee Cake
This turned out, well.. pretty amazing! I loved this recipe. Often blueberry things get mushy when there are too many blueberrys in the mix. I thought this was a great way to prepare it and the ratio was just right.


This antique plate I found at a garage sale for $10 bucks
I recently saw the same on Ebay for $60 but I love it too much to sell.


Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake

This is an easy blueberry streusel coffee cake.
It can be baked in a square or round layer-cake pan.
I found this recipe at http://www.blueberry-recipe.com/blueberry-streusel-coffee-cake.html There are others there too that look yummy and the BEST blueberry's for the price are in Costco's Frozen section.
Great for smoothies too!


Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon cinnamon


Cake:
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen

Directions:
Topping - In small mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients. Blend with fork until crumbly. Set aside.

Sift 1 1/2 cups sifted flour with baking powder and salt into a bowl. In a medium bowl, beat together beaten egg and 3/4 cup sugar and 1/3 cup melted butter.Add milk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and mix well.

Pour 1/2 the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square or 9-inch layer-cake pan. Sprinkle with blueberries and top with remaining batter.

Sprinkle topping crumb mixture evenly over batter. Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tests done. Partially cool in pan on wire rack. Cut coffee cake into squares while still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment