Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bertha Takes Me Thrifting!!

My $12 Down Coat!
Sometimes I never know where exactly my car "Bertha" will take me.  She's old, tired, abused, but very loyal and knows the places I like to go.  She surprised me today when she pulled in to my FAVORITE thrift, store, The Red White Blue store.   I love searching for treasures and a unique piece of clothing or two and getting a great deal!  The only thing I dont' like about the RWB thrift store is that they only accept cash and I am not a "cash girl", I'm a debit card user to the core!   They do have an ATM on sight but having to pay $1.50 for the fee kind of  zaps the joy out of it.  After all that $1.50 could go a long way in a store like The Red White and Blue, and since I didn't know Bertha was taking me there I didn't come prepared with cash at all so had to cough up the $1.50 extra.  I noticed the parking lot was rather full which was odd to me until I realized it was 1/2 price day which was very exciting until I realized it was for 55 and OLDER! Which is when I realized how thankful I was that I brought my cane and wig with me...no just kidding.  I was however tempted to stick a finger in the back of slow walking 90 year old tell her I was loaded and threaten her to be my "Grandma" for the day or else.. but I contained myself.  Apparently, Saturday is the day everyone else under 55 get to come and fight for 1/2 priced goods.   I found a few great finds like an amazing coat for $12 which if I had that Grandma would have gotten for $6!!  After my cart was full of treasures, I pull up to the counter and the checker asks me if I'm here with anyone over 55 which I then turned my head and yelled "GRANDMA HURRY UP"!!  When no one came forward that was the end of that charade as I again coughed up the big change.  The awkward find of the day was the new, never been burned, Apple Cinnamon candle for $3.00 (really 1.50 if Grandma would have..yah well you know)  that still had the Christmas gift tag taped to the bottom, that said: 
Merry Christmas
To: Jean
From:  The Jones's
Apparently Jean was either not a candle lover, Jewish, afraid of fire, allergic to wax, or really couldn't stand the Jones family to have that kind of return time on a Christmas present.  I mean who opens a nice scented candle and takes it right to the thrift store? I could understand if the scent was boiled egg or even cat litter but it was Apple Spice? So odd...   I Picked up a few beautiful planters that I may sell on ebay and thanks to Pinterest idea a new wire frame I'm going to turn into a jewelry holder.   Here's a few other awesome finds that I passed on  purchasing, but couldn't help but document.

I always find it funny what people give away and think others will want to buy. Like the picture of a silhouette of some random kids profile? Who would actually pick that up and say "oh my stars that looks just like Billy's profile..Perfect!"

Looks JUST like Billy tail and all!

I hate reptiles so when I went around the corner and saw this horrific box that stated REPTILE.. I gasped.  Thankfully it was empty, of course it was, but my mind wandered for a bit thinking of all the "What IF" scenarios. 

And of course this is classic find!!! I found this gem last year in a bin at the Goodwill. I really hope someone doesn't ever hate me or my picture this much to just toss it to the thrift store! Maybe it's the Jones's daughter Kim and Jean tossed it last year just like she did the Apple Spiced candle this year.



3 comments:

  1. That reptile cage is awesome! And nice touch with the "maybe it's the Jones's daughter Kim." I love going through personal items at thrift stores...oh, the stories I make up!

    --And extra, extra awesome credit for punctuating "Jones's" correctly! My hero! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thrift shopping!! Also, you should try the Union Gospel Mission in Tigard. Great stuff there and it's always half off for everyone (I'm pretty sure). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Todd for a good grade! I did fail on some other errors which I have since changed.
    "Hopeful" thanks for the tip! I foget to go there sometimes.. and usually stop in the Salvation army botique so that is nice and close!

    ReplyDelete