Saturday, February 18, 2012

Little Big Burger

Little Big Burger
122 Northwest 10th Avenue, Portland, OR 97209
(503) 274-9008
Restaurant Review

I was given the recommendation to try out The Pearl District's location Little Big Burger in Portland Oregon from the owner of Miss Hannah's Gourmet Popcorn.  Burgers must be the new Yogurt shop because these place are popping up left and right.   French Fries, being high on my list of splurge cravings, are a must consideration when choosing a hamburger place.   We got there right opening lunch so the cooks were just firing up the grill.  It must get busy because about 5 cooks appear out of the back room once it opened.  Friendly girl at the counter welcomes us as we take a look at the simple and reasonably priced menu, love those kind.  The restaurant is crisp and clean, plenty of seating and even a place to sit at the counter, which I always like as it makes me feel like I'm in an episode of "Happy Days" minus the Fonz.  
We step up to the counter and my  husband says "I'll try your veggie burger" which my head did a spin knowing he was just about to break the rules of our first visit.  He apparently did not read the fine lines of tasting adventures 101 article 14 that reads :Participants must AT ALL TIMES order the main menu item that the establishment is known for, on the second visit you may stray from the menu to more unique items.   THANKFULLY, I was there and not using the restroom or something, and I quickly corrected his behavior as he realized his technical foul.    There is disclaimer on the menu that all burgers are cooked to medium which means they have a little pink in the middle.  I quickly ordered medium well, which I'm really grateful I did after seeing my husband's medium pink burger.   We both ordered the Cheeseburger and shared the small order of fries which was actually a huge order of fries spilling out in the bag. I love it when I think we are done with the fries only to find a few more hiding in the bag under the napkins.. that is a close second to finding a $20 bill in my pants pocket.
Carefully Eating Very Small Cut Fry
Diving in,  there is an instant awareness of some interesting yet good spices which I can't put my finger on but like.   The burgers are just little bigger than a slider but pretty filling when you add the fries, at least for me, my husband felt this was lunch #1.  The fries although tasty, were a little bit awkwardly sized.  We came to realize that personally we like a long thin squared fry and these were all cut to about 2 inches at best.  There are some serious close calls of biting the finger when one is eating a 2 inch french fry.  Adding just  few more inches on that cut would have been less stressful, nevertheless whatever oil they fried them in made them go down pretty nicely.   In the end would I go back to Little Big Burger (and small 1 inch fry land)?  I think I would if in the area.  I definitely do not think I would make a special trip there, however, considering the competition around town.  But if you are in one of the 4 locations and want a reasonable good priced lunch or dinner or 2nd lunch or 2nd dinner I would give my thumbs up to Little Big Burger.


No comments:

Post a Comment